Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Late night at the pool

Tonight I coached my tri-group's swim practice and then I got my swim in...which resulted in me not leaving the pool until after 9. I like the athletes in the tri class-they are hard workers who don't complain and have a sense of humor even during hard practices. During today's practice, as I was trying to encourage them through a particularly hard portion of practice I said, "My practices have never made any of my athletes throw up..." and the reply I got was "I find that hard to believe." :) I write tough practices...

So once I was done coaching and finished with the chit-chat that always occurs after practice, the pool was all mine. Not many people swim at the Summit late...in fact I think it is the ONLY time the pool is not crowded. I love having the pool to myself.

My practice tonight consisted of a nice stretched out 1,000 yard warm up, followed by a set of 9 x 200 (IM, swim, pull) and then a short cool down. Total was a nice 3,000 yards. I'm feeling really good in the water. I expected a little bit more protest from my body during this week of getting back in the habit of more consistent swiming, however my body has done the opposite of protest. I feel smooth and relaxed in the water, falling into a good pattern. I credit some of that to the fact that during the "off-season" I purchased a VASA trainer and I have been doing quite a bit of swim specific stretngth training.

The only thing I am having a little trouble with is how late it is before I am able to eat dinner. Getting my swim workouts done in the morning would really help out in that respect...but I really do enjoy sleeping in.... : )

Have a good night everyone!

~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment