Monday, May 30, 2011

Ready for an EASY week!


Oh what a lazy day!  The only thing really productive that I did was mow my lawn (but only the front part) and go grocery shopping.  I am so happy it’s a recovery week!  Today my workout was simply stretch cords (internal and external shoulder rotations for injury prevention) and a nice 30-minute ab workout.  I played a little “chuck it” with Dixie-pup and spent most of the rest of the day just lounging around.

So…my three day weekend was not super monumental, however I did get my house clean and I got caught up on sleep.  I think that a pretty close second to swimming on my list of favorite things to do is sleeping.  I am an 8 hour a night sleeper….but this weekend, after three weeks of fairly hard workouts I got three nights of ten plus hours of sleep.  In my experience adequate sleep is very important in regards to athletic performance.

Since I have less workouts to get in this week….I am going to try and get a hold of a few more people I’d like to be on my support crew (I have a list of my support crew “Dream Team” but I haven’t had a chance to talk to each of them yet).  The people on my boat crew are going to need to fit into one of three categories 1) super motivating, 2) able to hop in and swim with me and/or 3) have the ability to drive the boat or administer first aid if necessary.  A few people I intend on asking will fit the “tri-fecta” of crew members and fit all of those criteria, but I hope to have a good mix of the above characteristics of folks aboard my support boat.   I also still need to get a boat (or two) secured for the dates of the swim.  Ideally, I will have two boats and my crew will be on shifts.  I would like a crew of between 8 and 12 rotating through what I estimate will be an approximately 26-28 hour swim.  Next week I will have my first of several test sets to estimate where I am with my training and how much faster I need to get to hit my goal pace for the swim.  My test sets will be hour long continuous swims seeing how much yardage I can get in during that period.  My goal in August will be 2.5 miles an hour which would mean a little over 4,000 yards in an hour.  I don’t think I am quite there yet, but I think it is surely attainable.

The other thing I need to do this week is make the arrangements for receiving donations.  Last year most o the donations came in after the swim and I had several friends helping me track those and deal with deposits (of which there were quite a few).  I also made a point last year to send thank you postcards to everyone who had a return address on their letters/donations.  I intend to do the same this year as well…so if you send me a letter, you will get a response from me!

Well, I’m going to go and get some reading in before bed…I am currently reading the book “Endurance” by Alfred Lansing.  My friend Blane recommended this book to me and it is about Ernest Shackleton who in 1914 embarked on an expedition attempting to cross on foot the last uncharted continent (Antarctica)…I’m only a few chapters into the book so far….but I can tell you right now that what Mr. Shackleton attempted was MUCH crazier than trying to swim a 55-mile lake…I’m just saying.

Anyway…have a great evening!

~Emily 


No comments:

Post a Comment