Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rainy days are great for long swims!

Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnn! I am sleepy! It was a VERY productive Saturday for me. I took yesterday off, which I hadn’t planned on doing. But when I woke up Friday morning, my hip-flexor was SO tight that I thought I should take a rest day (I think this was due to my bike workout yesterday that was little more than a footnote in my workout summary, however apparently was a little tougher than I thought). I don’t think the tightness of my hip-flexor was alleviated at all by the fact that I had to wear heels all day Friday. Despite what the makers of the Barbie doll would have us all believe, wearing high heels is not natural and probably not good to do daily (even if heels do make our calves look nice).

But regardless, after resting Friday and getting to sleep in this morning, my hip-flexor felt much better. It was raining pretty much all day today, but it did force me to get some things done like getting my studded tires off my car (well actually the guys at Les Schwab did that). Then I went to Home Depot and creatively constructed a pole for my underwater camera (for my stroke clinic next week) – which cost me less than $10 to do myself when essentially the same set up online runs for like $80! I was quite impressed with myself!

Then I went to the bookstore and got a few new books. I love reading right before I go to sleep because it helps me feel tired, although most times I end up staying up later because I get totally engrossed in a book. I have recently discovered the author Nathaniel Philbrick, who writes really great historical accounts.

At around 3pm, I finally made it to the pool for my workout. Today was a BIG yardage day…that I kept pushing later and later into the day. I ended up doing 8,000 yards today! The last 2000 was a little rough, but I finished the whole workout in under two and a half hours, which I was pretty happy about. I have one more day of “hard week” workouts to get through and then I get a much needed recovery week. And with recovery week means a massage! I had to switch my massage therapist because the lady I was going to in Whitefish moved to CA…so this next appointment is with a new guy, but supposedly he is really good for deep tissue (and actually cheaper than the other one I was going to!).

After my workout I spent the rest of the evening curled up on the couch with my puppy and my new book. A nice cozy way to end this rainy Saturday!

I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend-I’m off to bed nice and early!


~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment