Sunday, August 14, 2011

Swimming After Midnight

My midnight swim was SO much fun!  It was a beautiful night for a swim.  My friend Katie was able to borrow a tiny blue rowboat from her friend Darla and we were able to go out into the middle of Flathead Lake for about an hour at midnight.  The full moon provided a good deal of light (unfortunately my swim in a few weeks will not have that benefit), but Katie also had a small lantern in the boat, which from the water made the whole boat glow.  I wish I had a photo of this from the water...I should also add that Katie had a "miner's light" on her forhead too.

Once we got out about 15 minutes, I swam in circles around Katie so she wouldn’t have to row and could take some pictures.  While I was swimming (and Katie did not appreciate me telling her this) I was thinking that my view was probably much like a shark’s who would circle a small boat hoping for a tip over!  : )



The water was a little chilly at first, but once I started moving it was perfect.  I had two close encounters with bats flying a little bit too close to my arms, and I ran into a small piece of driftwood (which caused me to scream a little due to the fact that I watch too many horror movies) but other than that I had no problems.  I’d estimate I did roughly 3500 yards in about an hour.  That puts me at 16,000 for the week (remember this was a recovery week).


It was such a nice relaxing swim.  And it was so quiet and no jet skis to worry about.

By the time I got back to my house it was nearly 2 am.  For the first time in months I was able to sleep in until nearly 10!  It was pretty slow moving this morning, but I got to the pool and got another swim in (4,500 yards).

After my swim I went into work for several hours, which was a little easier to do than it was yesterday!  I like knowing that I am going to start the week with a good amount of the files cleared off my desk!

After work I went to Costco to begin stocking up on my “swim snacks.”  It was a fun shopping trip as I had with me a list of high carb foods from my nutritionist.

Now I’ve got to get to bed here pretty shortly…its going to be another busy week, but I’m looking forward to my last long training swim this Saturday and then my TAPER begins next Wednesday!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment