Sunday, July 17, 2011

Flathead Lake-iversary

So one year ago today I did what many people told me I was crazy for even trying.  Yes, today is My Flathead Lake-iversary!  Although Flathead Lake and I are still deeply in love…I am seeing other lakes, well at least one.  : )

I can’t believe a year has gone by already.  Today I got up at 4:00 am and began the drive back to Washington.  It was a good day for a long drive.  I watched the sunrise and remembered how cool it was to begin the swim last year in the pitch black with the stars and moon as my only light and stroke after stroke the sun crept up from behind the mountains.

Why such an early start today?  Well, for starters I didn’t end up swimming yesterday-the trip to Chelan took pretty much the whole day.  Also, I wanted to swing by Missoula on my way back home and get my long swim for the week in at the outdoor pool…my goal was 11,000 meters.  I made pretty good time on the drive and got to Missoula at about 11:00 which gave me enough time to drop Dixie off at Cassie’s (thanks again!) and scarf down a subway sandwich before beginning my swim at about noon.  I ran into several of my YMCA swimmers-George, Shane and Jennifer and also Ellen from the Grizzly pool!  After a little more chit chat than was probably necessary I eventually got to my workout.  And I did it, the whole 11,000 meters.  It was a very good workout-my shoulders didn’t ever get tight and I think I mixed it up enough so it wasn’t boring.

            1000 swim
            10 x 50 kick
            8 x 100 swim
            6 x 200 IM
            4 x 400 pull
            2 x 800 swim
            4 x 400 pull
            6 x 200 IM
            8 x 100 swim
            10 x 50 kick
            200 easy

I find pyramid sets are really nice from a mental standpoint as at about the half way point you can say “nothing longer than an 800 left!”

After I finished swimming (and I should note that during the 4.5 hours I had approximately 8 different lane buddies, I drank two water bottles of Cytomax and tropical fruit shot blocks and reapplied sunscreen twice), I picked up Dixie and got some Red Robin take out.  I hung out at a friend’s house until about 8, then drove the remaining two hours of the trip.

I was already starving again by the time I got home, so I had some Muscle Milk, but I still think that I was about 1,000 calories short today given the extra hours I swam, but I’m too tired to eat more now.

I haven’t calculated this week’s total yardage, but I think it was close to 30,000.  Tomorrow I will have a cool comparison chart of yardage this year vs. yardage last year.  But that’s all for tonight!

Goodnight!

~Em

No comments:

Post a Comment