Tuesday, July 19, 2011

One of the toughest girls I know...Katelyn Roker

First things first.  Today was a non-swim day, but not a day off.  It is a recovery week for me, but I am sort of isolating my arms in that category.  So today I had a tough legs and abs VASA workout.  I am going to have SORE legs tomorrow!

I'd like to talk a little bit about Katelyn.  I chatted with Katelyn’s mom Jaime on facebook today.  Here is an adorable photo of Katelyn and Jaime!



I learned a bit about Katelyn’s next steps in treatment.  Katelyn is now in second remission, but as I understand it the hard part is not over.  Katelyn now has two years of an experimental treatment to prevent the return of the Neuroblastoma.  This an aggressive form of cancer and since Katelyn's cancer came back so quickly after her first remission, they have to give her as much of this experimental medication as possible.  Katelyn will have to travel not only to Spokane but also back and forth to New York for this treatment.  There are significant side effects to this treatment as well-here is a link that Jaime sent me:


And for those of you that need another website to follow : )  Here is a link to Katelyn’s Caringbridge website which is updated frequently about her journey:


Folks its crunch time here-we are six weeks out from the swim, I need your help getting the word out about the swim.  The fundraising efforts are going well, in less than two weeks that I’ve been collecting donations we have raised over $1,000!  But I think we can do better, I think we can raise more.  I encourage you all to pass this site on to your friends.  Anyone know any business owners that might want to donate…I am still seeking sponsorship, any businesses that donate money to this cause I will list as a sponsor on my blog, all fliers and the support crew t-shirts.  Lets spread the word folks, if you know someone looking for a good cause, you would be hard pressed to find a better cause than this one.  Lets help out Katelyn, one of the toughest girls I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment