Saturday, June 18, 2011

Flathead Lake-still really cold!

Well today was kind of all over the place!  First I started out the morning by coaching my swim group (after a refreshing nearly 12 hours of sleep!).  Then I met with a new athlete interested in hiring me to coach him.  I then headed to a bridal shop to try on bridesmaid dresses for my brother’s wedding.

I was having a rather lazy day, putting off my 8,000 yard workout until Saturday evening when I knew the pool would be less crowded.  I got the Summit at 4pm…I was less than a 1/3 through the workout when the lifeguards cleared the pool and said the Summit was closing.  Apparently, during the “summer” the facility closes at 5.  So….I was not able to finish my practice.  I didn’t want the day to be only a 2,200 yard swim day, so I called my friend Katie to see if she would watch me swim in Flathead Lake.  So she played with the dogs while I swam.

It. Was. COLD!!!!!  I had my sleeves on as well as my neoprene cap.  I was only in for 30 minutes (roughly 2000 yards I would estimate).  The lake is SO high and very cloudy right now.  I couldn’t see past about my elbow.  When I first started swimming 20-30 seagulls (I still don’t understand what seagulls are doing all the way over in Montana) started circling over top me and I was being watched by a hawk atop a tree on one of the small islands near shore.  I was worried one of the fish hungry birds would mistake my toes for a fish…..but fortunately that didn’t happen.  I did swim by a momma duck and her 10 ducklings who appeared to be having a swim lesson.  ; )

So my combined inside/outside workouts were about 4,200 yards.  And my big tough 8000 yard workout will have to be tomorrow!

Off to bed!

~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment