Sunday, June 19, 2011

Twice the Speed of Life

Today I was going 90 miles an hour all day I swear!  Well-at least until 4 ish.  I got up at 6 and got in a great 4000 yard practice before heading to the Triathlon at Foys Lake (just to watch, not to race).  My morning practice I repeated my “test set” that I last did on June 1st (max yardage in 1 hour).  Last time I was at 3700 yards in an hour and today I was at 3900 yards in an hour!  Improvement!  Now I am just 300 yards off my hour pace which is fantastic.

After my morning swim I rushed home, showered, changed packed up the dog and headed to the Lake to watch my athletes race at the triathlon. Bringing Dixie turned out to be a minor inconvenience as I may have ruined her forever in terms of her being a good “spectator dog”.  From the minute we got there she wanted to be in the water with all the swimmers in their wetsuits (as she has gotten WAY too used to swimming with me).  She whined and barked through the whole swim.  Then on the run she kept looking at me like “hey LAZY, the other runners are going to beat us if we don’t start running soon.”  She is used to running and swimming with me and didn’t enjoy at all sitting on the sidelines.

Everyone had a really good race…. although there were a few mishaps, like the athlete that put his running shoes on first and ended up doing the whole bike in his running shoes instead of his clip in bike pedals, but overall I think everyone had fairly good races despite the weather.

After the race, I rushed home again to drop Dixie off, eat a little bit and change BACK into my swim suit to meet a friend for a lunch time swim. Since I wanted to make my yardage goal of 30,000 for the week, I still (Even after this morning’s 4000 yard swim) needed 5,000 yards to hit that.  So that is what I did!  It wasn’t pretty, which I can say with a good deal of certainty since at the end of my swim I had my friend video tape my stroke and ughhhhh I have GOT to do some drill work because I have gotten a little sloppy.  Although I am hoping most of the bad technique captured on video today was more the result of me being tired.

After a quick meal after swimming I FINALLY got home and tried to take a little nap, but my entire body is throbbing and I was too sore to sleep.  I am planning on being lazy the rest of the evening, although Dixie apparently has different plans as she will not stop nudging me with her tennis ball.  Unfortunately the weather was not great for the dog park or anything like that….so Dixie may need a mid-week trip to the dog park to make up for not getting her usual weekend play time in.  

Anyway, I’m happy to report I surpassed my yardage goal this week with a total of 30,300 yards!

~Emily 

No comments:

Post a Comment