Sunday, June 12, 2011

The kind of Dad I have...

Hello everyone!  I am happy to report it was another FANTASTIC weekend!  I am in Ellensburg visiting my parents until tomorrow afternoon.  It was a much needed break from Kalispell (I LOVE Kalispell, but getting out of town now and then is nice-particularly with all the rain we've had there lately).  The weather here was wonderful all weekend.  Yesterday, my parents had to go over to Renton to babysit my nephew, so I drove up to Chelan with Dixie.

I have never been to Lake Chelan before, but as soon as I got there I was in love with it.  My purpose in heading up there was to check out some logistical things for the swim and get the conversation started on hopefully boat donation and hotel room donation for my crew.  As I drove up to the lake, I felt the same way I remember feeling the first time driving past Flathead after I made the goal to swim that lake.  The best I can describe the feeling that I got on both those occasions is that it made me feel 10 years old again, looking at a swim (back then it would have been swimming the 500 for the first time) with a wide eyed sense of awe that only kids tend to have.  Well- it was that feeling and the thought-What have I gotten myself into this time!  The enormity of this lake is not something I am unaware of, it is something I respect as a challenge.  Upon first view of Lake Chelan nestled between mountains I felt the butterflies in my stomach that remind me just how awesome it is to even be able to attempt such a feat.

First I took Dixie to the City beach, which is at the southern most point of the lake and I believe will be my "end spot" for the swim.  This was a perfect spot for Dixie to swim as there were sticks everywhere and the beach was not too crowded.  After I sufficiently tired her out we went off in search of boats.

The first boat rental place I went into I told the saleslady what I was doing and asked her some generic lake questions like- 1) how bad is the wind in August, 2) what is the weather like in August, 3) what is the air & lake temperature in August.  The owner came in partway through our conversation and I started talking about what I would need in terms of boats-minimum 1 pontoon alongside the whole swim with an additional pontoon boat at night.  We talked rental rates, and the man there gave me a great deal and I told him I would be in touch with him in the next week.  As I was pulling my car out of the parking lot the owner comes running out and says "they just told me you are doing this as a fundraiser."  I told him a little bit about Katelyn and he said, "we'll donate the boats for free for your swim."  AWESOME!  So, first official sponsor of this swim is Jet Skis Ahoy Watercraft Rentals!

Oh and also my inquiry at Jet Skis Ahoy regarding if anyone has ever swam the lake confirmed what I thought, NO ONE HAS SWAM THE LENGTH OF LAKE CHELAN!  : )  The owners have lived there 40 years and said they had not heard of anyone swimming it!

Then I went to another beach (Lakeside Beach)...and let Dixie swim a little more before heading onto securing lodging for my crew.  I went to the Best Western and spoke to the front desk people, and although the manager was out for the weekend, they took down my name and said that if the manager wouldn't donate rooms he would at least probably give me a reduced rate.

So....things are rolling...and plans are being made.  I also got a great map of Lake Chelan that has an aerial view of the lake as well as a depth chart.

Now...onto the title of my post.  Today, after a fairly lazy morning my parents were planning on going into town to get some groceries and then heading to a lake here in Ellensburg so I could swim for a little while.  Right as we were about to leave my dad noticed his neighbor and wife were out loading up hay bales onto their trailer.  Without any hesitation dad says, "Emily lets go over and help them load the hay, Barry had back surgery a month ago and shouldn't be lifting those."  Now, you should also know that my dad has had pretty significant back and leg problems in the past six months and most days is in a good amount of pain himself, but without even thinking twice he was over to help out his neighbor with the hay.  Those who wonder where my big heart and willingness to help others comes from need look no farther than that example my father has set for me my entire life (although I should note that my mom is the same way).

Anyhow, after our hay loading, we went into town and then to the lake.  Dixie would not just play fetch with my dad while I swam but instead followed me while I swam...once she appeared to be exhausted I swam her back to shore and my dad held her on the leash until I was done.  My mom and dad said the whole time she was whining and watching me intently while I swam.  I only swam about 1/2 an hour, but it was a good swim and any additional outdoor swims I can get in are bonuses as far as I am concerned.

Well, that was a long post, but I was really excited to write about all of those things!  I hope you all had a wonderful weekend too!

Goodnight!

~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment